Tom Freeman is an experienced attorney who has advised and represented individuals, corporations, county governments, the State of Nebraska, and Native American tribes and entities on matters including commercial contracts, litigation and risk management, corporate governance, and employment law. He has litigated cases in both state and federal courts and at the trial and appellate levels.
Tom is a Business Law Professor at Creighton University, where he teaches courses on business law, negotiation, and litigation. His courses and academic research prepare students for the legal and ethical challenges created by Big Data, artificial intelligence, business analytics, fintech, algorithmic bias, and other emerging technologies.
Tom serves on the Board of Directors of Keep Omaha Beautiful and is a member of the Knights of Columbus and Suburban Rotary of Omaha. He was elected to the Executive Board of the Midwest Academy of Legal Studies in Business and serves on the Editorial Board of the Nebraska Lawyer. He helped lead a team that developed a national high school curriculum on algorithmic bias for the ADL. He has been published in legal journals such as the William & Mary Business Law Review and Georgetown Journal of Law & Public Policy. Tom is a frequent speaker on topics like algorithmic bias, data science ethics, networking, business law, and leadership and recently presented at SXSW EDU.
Tom is a native Nebraskan and is married with two children. He loves spending time with family and friends, reading, and traveling. He roots for Nebraska in football and Creighton in everything else.
Get to Know Thomas
BEST PART OF YOUR JOB?
I enjoy meeting, getting to know, and helping clients. People often need lawyers at some of the worst times in their lives. The cases that have meant the most to me were those when I worked with and fought for clients who were being bullied and treated unfairly.
WHAT OBSCURE TOPIC COULD YOU TALK ABOUT FOR HOURS?
Ancient Roman history.
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view…until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.” –Atticus Finch, To Kill a Mockingbird.
“Under Pressure,” -Queen with David Bowie
FAVORITE SHOW TO BINGE WATCH:
This is a toss-up between “Suits” and “The Newsroom.”
- BAR ADMISSIONS
- PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- PUBLISHED CASES
- HONORS AND AWARDS
- CLASSES AND SEMINARS TAUGHT
- CIVIC ACTIVITIES
- Creighton University, College of Business Administration, M.B.A. (2012)
- Creighton University, School of Law, M.S., Negotiation and Dispute Resolution (2009)
- Creighton University, School of Law, J.D. (2007)
- Bellevue University, Bellevue, Nebraska, B.A. in Liberal Arts (2004)
- United States Supreme Court (2017)
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals (2007)
- State and Federal Courts, Nebraska (2007)
- Academy of Legal Studies in Business (2016-present)
- Nebraska State Bar Association (2007-present)
- Travelers Indem. Co. v. Wamsley (In re Estate of Evertson), 295 Neb. 301, 889 N.W.2d 73 (Neb. 2016).
- Theresa Malone, individually and as a derivative action on behalf of Blue Valley Foods, Inc., a Nebraska corporation, et al., Plaintiffs, v. Douglas Kantner, et al., (D. Neb. 2015).
- Harris v. O’Connor, 287 Neb. 182, 842 N.W.2d 50 (Neb. 2014)
- Krumwiede v. Metropolitan Utilities District, No. A-06-753 (Neb. App. 2007).
- Outstanding Paper Award, Midwest Academy of Legal Studies in Business (2020)
- Nebraska State Bar Association Leadership Academy (2018-2019)
- AV-Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell (2012-present)
- Business Law; Legal Environment of Business; Negotiation; and Mock Trial (Creighton University)
- Litigation; Negotiation (National Attorneys General)
- Keep Omaha Beautiful, Board of Directors (2017-present)
- Knights of Columbus (2014-present)
- Suburban Rotary of Omaha (2012-present)
- Delta Sigma Pi (2000-present)