One part litigator and one part competitor, Kelly Brandon understands the value of a hard-fought victory.
Kelly was born in the rural community of Geneva, Nebraska, and graduated from Geneva High School in 1988. She went on to attend Nebraska Wesleyan University, where she competed as a member of the Plainswoman volleyball team while earning a B.S. in economics and a minor in global studies.
Kelly received her law degree from Creighton University and has been practicing law since 1995. Kelly’s commitment to protecting the rights of employees in Nebraska is illustrated by over 20 years of litigation experience, including claims involving wrongful termination, disability discrimination, sexual harassment, and more.
Kelly is a member of the National Employment Lawyers Association and serves as the 8th Circuit Representative from Nebraska. Kelly has past experience as the President of the Nebraska Employment Lawyer’s Association and is a former member of the Minority in Justice Commission.
Kelly resides in Gretna with her husband, Mike, and their three daughters, Hannah, Maya, and Roan. Mike is a history teacher at Gretna High School and the school’s varsity volleyball coach. He also serves as the Operations Director for Nebraska Juniors Volleyball Club. Kelly’s free time is spent running a youth volleyball program in Gretna with her husband and keeping up with her three daughters’ busy, fun lives. And, of course, watching a lot of volleyball.
Get to Know Kelly
Best part of your job?
Helping others who have been wronged while working with really great people.
What obscure topic could you talk about for hours?
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” –Martin Luther King, Jr.
Favorite show to binge watch:
Game of Thrones
If you couldn’t be an attorney, you’d:
Be a teacher
Cat person or dog person:
- Bar Admissions
- Professional Associations
- Areas of Practice
- Published Cases
- Classes and Seminars Taught
- Civic Activities
- Creighton Law School, Omaha, Nebraska (1995)
- Am. Jur. Award in Trial Practice
- Nebraska Wesleyan University, B.S. in Economics/Minor Global Studies (1992)
- State of Nebraska (1995)
- U.S. District Court Nebraska (1995)
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- National Employment Lawyers Association, 2010–present
- Nebraska Employment Lawyers Association, 2013–present
- Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys, 2010–present
- Nebraska Bar Association, 1995–present
- Omaha Bar Association, 1995–present
- Employment Law
- Civil Rights
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Wage & Hour Law
- Workers Compensation
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Morris v. Popp Enter., 2012 WL 525501 (D. Neb. 2012)
- Brown v. West Corp., 287 F.R.D. 494 (D. Neb. 2012)
- Lundy v. Shelter Mut. Ins., 2006 WL 2472723 (Neb. 2006)
- Dean v. Yahnke, 266 Neb. 820, 670 N.W.2d 28 (2003)
- Trapani v. Basile, 2003 WL 21146086 (Neb. 2003)
- Gilkerson v. Faulkner, 2002 WL 31245981 (Neb. 2002)
- Rush v. Wilder, 263 Neb. 910, 644 N.W.2d 151 (2002)
- Heesacker v. Heesacker, 262 Neb. 179, 629 N.W.2d 558 (2001)
- GHMC, Inc. v. Brandywine Const., 2001 WL 883737 (8th Cir. 2001)
- Vesely v. Timpte, 2000 WL 1673319 (Neb. 2000)
- Schindler v. Walker, 256 Neb. 767, 592 N.W.2d 912 (1999)
- S.T. v. Nebraska Methodist Richard Young Hosp., 1999 WL 1222549 (Neb. 1999)
- Schindler v. Walker, 7 Neb. App. 300, 582 N.W.2d 369 (1998)
- Betz v. Betz, 254 Neb. 341, 575 N.W.2d 406 (1998)
- Chelberg v. Guitars & Cadillacs, 253 Neb. 830, 572 N.W.2d 356 (1998)
- Cunningham v. Leisure Inn, 253 Neb. 741, 573 N.W.2d 412 (1998)
- Gray v. Lewis & Clark Expeditions, 12 F. Supp. 2d 993 (D. Neb. 1998)
- Dennis v. Dennis, 6 Neb. App. 461, 574 N.W.2d 189 (1998)
- Kramer v. Kramer, 252 Neb. 526, 567 N.W.2d 100 (1997)
- Doe v. Golnick, 251 Neb. 184, 556 N.W.2d 20 (1996)
- The Intersection of Injury Cases and Employment Law, Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys, December 2014.
- Workers Compensation Retaliation – The Other Discrimination Claim, Southwest Iowa Lawyers League, February 2012.
- Gretna Chamber of Commerce, 2004–2013; 2015
- G1 Volleyball Club—Club Administrator and Coach, 2010–present